I’ve changed a lot since I was young. Believe it or not, I used to be a bit of a Grinch. Christmas wasn’t my favorite time.
But now that I’m older, I embrace the whole season—from November 1 till mid-January, I’m in holiday mode.
I’ll admit to being one of “those” people who decorates for Christmas before Thanksgiving. Don’t judge. It doesn’t mean that I forget Thanksgiving. It’s more that I think the whole season is one of Thanksgiving. Plus decorating is hard work and I want to enjoy it as long as I can!
So here are my 5 favorite things about this time of year:
- Christmas music. Oh, how I love it. On the TV, on the radio, even a Muppets Christmas record on the record player. I don’t care. Christmas music makes me happy.
- Candles. I’m a candle junkie. I admit it. And between the fall scents and the holiday scents, I am in hog heaven. In November, I lean toward Pumpkin scents or my favorite—Warm Caramel Cider. Once December arrives, it’s Fresh Balsam all the way. I don’t have a live tree, but my house smells like I do!
- Lights. There is something about twinkling Christmas lights that makes me feel like I’m a kid again. As I write this, my husband and I are headed to Opryland Hotel in Nashville, and I can’t WAIT to see their Christmas lights!
- Thanksgiving Day at Grandma’s. My family is the kind of family that gets together a lot. But there is always something special about being together on Thanksgiving Day. I am so thankful for them, and so blessed to have them.
- Christmas Day after all the presents are open and the food is eaten and everyone kind of collapses in a full and happy heap.
Bonus favorite…I always take one day during the holidays to just relax. The house is quiet and empty, and I stay in my softest jammies and enjoy coffee and a book in the decorated living room. That quiet day sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas is vital for me. (Can you guess I’m an introvert?)
How about you? Do you have a favorite tradition or favorite thing about this time of year?