For some, the holidays aren’t all bright lights and Christmas cheer…
I have to admit, I’m struggling this year to keep my holiday happiness. After losing a family member to cancer days before Thanksgiving, there’s been a fog hanging around that dims the twinkling lights and dulls the cheerful music.
Have you ever found yourself in that place?
I’ve been thinking a lot about this and trying to work my way through the gloom because I know that the Lord’s plans are always for the good because He is good. And I know what the real reason for this season is His coming to save the world.
Over the past couple of weeks, I’ve been fighting to get my cheer back and I’m going to share a few things I’ve done… just in case you need a little boost too.
- Remember the reason for the season. Seriously. One thing that’s helped me a lot is finding a few Christmas devotionals to remind myself why we’re actually celebrating.
- Taking stock of what I have to be grateful for and writing those things down in my gratitude journal. There’s something about focusing on what’s good, to help push out all the dark thoughts. (Colossians 3:2)
- Listening to Christmas music and movies. Even if they can be a little cheesy, one can’t help but be lifted when that bell rings, or the drummer boy plays his little heart out for the baby Jesus.
- Decorate, even if you don’t feel like it. Just do it. For me, finding old ornaments full of memories always makes me smile.
- Make time for friends or church family. Go to the parties. Surround yourself with people who care for and love you. Don’t allow yourself to become isolated. Friends and family can make all the difference when you feel like you’re facing hard things. (I shared a bit about this on my blog this past week.)
These are things that have helped me get through my foggy gloom. How about you? Any suggestions for those struggling to find their happy place in all the holiday madness? =)
Below is a list of my holiday books. Some are only based around the holidays, some are Christmas stories. Some will be on sale until the end of this year! If you enjoy quick escapes and sweet romances, then enjoy!
Snow Belle – Always .99¢
Candy Lane Christmas – .99¢ until Dec. 31st.
A Thousand Wishes – New Release!
Nate’s Gift – New Release!
My Beastly Billionaire– Fairytale retelling that takes place during the holidays