I dedicated The Baby’s Christmas Blessing to my sister because she inspired some of my heroine’s quirky tastes in food.
How quirky, you ask?
As a kid, my sister used to mash up her Christmas dinner into a big pile and eat all the different foods—turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy—in one bite, and we used to joke about how one day we’d invent a product called Christmas-in-a-Can and become wealthy businesswomen! (We might have been onto something, too, because I guess Heinz beat us to the punch last year and sold out almost immediately!!!)
Of course, having this hilarious memory, I wanted the heroine of my new book to do the same thing with her holiday meal. 😆
However, at the time I started writing the book, I thought it would be too presumptuous (!) to write a Christmas book for Love Inspired. Surely, I thought, Love Inspired would only want Christmas books from well-established authors who’d been writing for them for a long time.
So, I wrote the first draft of the manuscript and set it during the Thanksgiving season, and the heroine was going to dream about creating Thanksgiving-in-a-Can.
Imagine my surprise when my editor asked me to rewrite the book—and make it a Christmas story!!! 🎉🎀🎄
I was happy oblige, but it got me thinking that there are way more Christmas books than Thanksgiving books. Since Thanksgiving is almost here (in the U.S., at any rate), I wanted to share a few books that feature Thanksgiving in case you want to add them to your TBR.
Ten Terrific Thanksgiving Reads for Your TBR
- My Stubborn Heart by Becky Wade
- Becky Wade’s debut Christian romance novel! A must read!
- Pathway to Peace by Elizabeth Maddrey
- The hero and heroine meet at Thanksgiving dinner, and the Amazon reviews are great! “The story is a good one that kept me reading well past bedtime.” 🦃
- What Could Be by Jaycee Weaver
- A fabulous series starter by the talented Jaycee Weaver. ❤️
- An Unexpected Legacy by Amy Anguish
- The hero and heroine of this story meet in a smoothie shop. Hmm, maybe since Heinz already introduced Christmas-in-a-Can, my sis and I can invent Thanksgiving-in-a-Smoothie!!! 🤣
- Lighten Up by Angela Ruth Strong
- An oldie but a goodie! “Smart, snappy, real, and convicting.”
- Not Until Now by Valerie Bodden
- A powerful story of faith, love, and forgiveness, Not Until Now will draw you in, touch your soul, and leave you with a happy sigh and a heart filled with hope.
- Cadence of Cranberries by Valerie Comer
- I love, love, L😍VE this title! Cranberry sauce is my absolute favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner, and I’ve been to a real cranberry bog on Cape Cod, too!
- Call You Home by Jan Thompson
- To save a landmark family restaurant in Savannah, two chefs must put aside their twenty-year-old feud and cook together. “The many scripture passages…spoke to my heart.”
- Muskoka Blue by Carolyn Miller
- Did you know that up until I was 18, I celebrated Thanksgiving in October? Come read about Canadian Thanksgiving in this charming story! 🇨🇦
- The Gathering Table by Kathryn Springer
- This might be at the end of my list, but it’s at the top of my TBR! I’ve enjoyed every Kathryn Springer book I’ve read, and this one has such a beautiful fall cover that it’s impossible to resist! “A tale of hope and saving grace amongst the hurt and fears of life.” 🍁🍂
Have you read any of the books on this list? And… would you ever consider trying Thanksgiving- (or Christmas-) in-a-Can?
P.S. I don’t have a giveaway on this post, but I’m going to be giving away 24 paperbacks in December! Find out more (and sign up if you’re so inclined) at: https://bonus.meghannwhistler.com/christmascountdown