As part of the promotion for the upcoming TV movie, Love Finds You in Charm (which premieres on the UP Network on June 7), the movie company, Guideposts, and I have been kicking around ideas about how I can help with the promotion.
Besides the obvious interviews, library talks and such, I’ve learned that Christian Mingle will be running ads for the movie. I guess someone there learned that I got married fairly recently and a little later in life than most people. One of the ideas they had was for me to possibly do some dating advice type things in conjunction with those ads.
Which made me laugh a little bit. Who am I to give dating and love advice?
Hey…wait a minute! Not only am I a romance writer, but I also spent more than half my life dating. (Seriously. My first date was at 16. I got married at 37. That’s a lot of dating years!)
So I got to thinking about what that advice might be. And I don’t know if there are any single ladies who may read this blog…but just in case, here you go!
- Be patient. Patience is a lost art. I think in the dating and love arena, it’s key. You may have some kind of “calendar” that tells you that you must check off certain life milestones by certain ages. Ignore those. Trust God.
- If you’ve always dated a certain “type” and yet you are still looking. . .maybe it’s time to go out with a different “type” of guy. On one of our first dates, my now-husband asked me if he was my type. I answered honestly. No. He wasn’t the kind of guy I typically went out with. But our dynamic worked and I couldn’t be happier. Be open-minded.
- Be yourself. Don’t be afraid someone isn’t going to like you just as you are. If they don’t appreciate you for who you are, then they aren’t the person you’re going to want to spend your life with.
- It’s wonderful to have high standards—just make sure they aren’t impossible to meet. No one is perfect. Even Prince Charming has flaws.
- Communication is so important. No one can read your mind.
Those are a few of my tips! I hope they can help someone who is looking for love.
Be sure and tune in to the UP Network on June 7 for the premiere of Love Finds You in Charm!