The book I just published (a month late!), La Risposta, the final book in the A Tuscan Legacy multi-author series, was the hardest story I’ve written so far.
A pineapple book. Spiky and tough and messy to get into, but worth it once you do! Getting to The End took a lot of prayer and a lot of leaning on the Lord and a load of support from my wonderful editor Dee at Brilliant Cut. I’m so relieved and grateful to have it done! I truly hope I’ve written the story God wanted me to write.
Like all challenging experiences, I learned a lot in the process.
- No matter how urgent the deadline, caring for my husband has to come first.
- To ditch my own plans and trust God’s guidance instead, because this story ended up nothing like the story I started off thinking I’d write, and first drafted.
- When things seem to be going wrong and I’m under time pressure, to stop and be still with Him first, instead of diving headlong into panicky pointless activity.
- My “word for the year” isn’t just for one year, but ongoing. “Still” is my word for 2018, but the words from previous years still apply just as much as they did in their own years. “Enough” and “Flow”. So I need to stack them. Internalise the relevant Bible verses, and hold them in my heart and mind. Trust that God’s grace IS enough for me. Know that my plans need to be fluid, ready to flow as He guides me, and I need to allow His rivers of living water to flow into me and through me. And I always need to be still before Him, and know He is God.
- The best thing I can do in any situation is surrender it to Him. To simply be still and trust Him. To stop my frantic planning, do what is in front of me, and hand the future over to Him. That’s where joy and peace is found.
My prayer has been this:
Help me to still myself before You, Lord. Help me to slow down and breathe. To open my heart and mind to You. To forget my To Do lists and my deadlines and my shoulds, and to rest in You, listening for Your guidance and direction. To let Your peace seep into my weary soul and renew it, so I can love the way You want me to love, and write the way You want me to write. Thank You, dear Lord! Amen.
I’m hoping I can remember this, next time I get in a deadline rush!
If you’re new here and haven’t seen the A Tuscan Legacy multi-author series yet, or were waiting until all 9 books were published to start reading, you’ll find the books here. My books, Dolce Vita and La Risposta, will be 99c for a few more days only. All the books can be read in Kindle Unlimited!
Plus, if you love Christmas romances, don’t miss the opportunity to stock up on free and 99c ebooks at Christmas in July from 18th through 22nd July!
Did you choose a word for the year back at the start of 2018? Has it helped, or do you (like me some years!) struggle to recall what the word was? And if you’ve read A Tuscan Legacy, what did you enjoy most about it?
One comment on this post before July 26 will be randomly chosen to win their choice of my current or future ebooks!