When I was doing Sunday Edition in September, I promised pictures of the addition to our home. Here they are. :) (And, shh, don’t tell, but I copied and pasted the inspy web address on the pictures but didn’t realize I’d spelled it wrong–I often invert the s and p–until toward the end of the pictures. I didn’t change them, so see if you can spot my mistakes. :D)
NOTE: This post is FULL of pictures, so be mindful of how long it will take for your internet connection to download them. :o
I tried to stay out of the workers’ way, so you’ll see that many of these pictures are taken in the evening. Picture 1 is a close up of the trench they dug for the concrete footings. Pic 2 is a larger view of the area.
At this point, we were wondering if we’d underestimated how big this second garage would be. It looked HUGE.
They almost dug too far forward because the markers were not meant to denote exact location, but they thought they were. We wanted the back of this building to be even with the back of our house. :o My husband caught that error before it was a major problem.
Picture 3 shows the preparation for the concrete. LOTS of gravel and rebar.
Obviously, pic 4 shows the final concrete pad. If you look closely, toward the rear left corner, you can see where our safe room will be.
It was one of the requirements for this build. I wanted a safe room.
We often have tornadoes here in Alabama, and we had no place inside our home, except maybe a 3×4 closet, stuffed with things, that would even come close to safe. As you’ll see later, I don’t think this room is going anywhere. :)
My son took a moment to play with a broken board–we were scavenging from the dumpster. They threw away some decent wood we knew we could use for other projects later.
And there’s the safe room. Concrete blocks set on top of rebar posts (small ones buried in the foundation concrete). Then longer pieces of rebar were set down through the holes and tied to the ones poking out of the concrete. AND then, they poured concrete down into the holes and on the ceiling (they had a wood platform they poured onto).
It doesn’t look very big, but it’s 5’x7′, which is plenty big for quite a number of people. My husband plans to add a TV–it’s hooked up for power, lights, and an antennae–benches, and shelves.
Here is the framed and wrapped versions. This part went pretty quickly. This section of the framing went up in one day. The next day the roof and wrapping went on. Of all of the workers, I have to say that the framing company was the most efficient. (I don’t know who they are or I’d give them a shout out. We had a general contractor taking care of the build.)
As with all projects, an “oops” or two occurs. The picture on the left is one of those. The workers were pulling up our existing concrete (just a section so the new concrete wouldn’t be too thin) and hit our internet cable, which was out of the ground to keep them from digging into it. :o
Not only did they break the wire, but they also pulled the whole box off the wall. :( Thankfully, the internet company came out quickly to replace the line. Sadly, the man forgot his drill and couldn’t put the box back up. He never returned (which is why I’m not giving the company kudos), so my husband screwed it back to the house.
On the right is my NEW door. If you scroll back up, you’ll see this idiotic window in the wall that makes it look like a bathroom is on the other side. Obviously from this picture, there’s no bathroom. I “think” it was designed to be another bedroom. We use it as a mudroom, and one of my son’s uses it as his desk space (out of the picture). I’ve always HATED that window, so this door is a BLESSING of huge magnitudes to me. If you look closely, you’ll see 2x4s near the floor. We believe a full-sized double window was meant to be in that space and the builder/former owner changed the plans for some unknown reason.
Okay, last pics of our new workshop/garage. I wanted a breezeway between the house and the workshop and where my safe room was located. (We don’t call it a garage because my husband is taking his woodworking tools out there, so I can get out of my car easily while it’s parked in the garage (out of picture to the right).
So, it’s ALMOST done. Gutters are the last element to be attached, and then next year (late winter/early spring), I will landscape the area between the house and the workshop. As you can see in the picture on the right, we added extra concrete to the side of the building for parking. When all of our kids come home, we need the space for everyone’s cars. :D
And lest I forget, a pic of the inside of my safe room (minus the door and without the power and light installed).
And because some of you may know that I had the opportunity to go to London a few weeks ago, here are a few pics of my time there. I hope you enjoyed my pics today.
And that is the end.