Do you love heartwarming Christian romance novels, like the ones most authors on this blog write? Do you love that warm, cozy sigh at the end of a sweet love story?
I’m with you: I mostly prefer reading contemporary Christian romance. Those stories warm my heart and transport me to a world of small towns and domestic bliss where everyone cares about each other. I like the kids and the dogs and the happy families that populate most contemporary Christian romance. I’m reading to escape my problems, not find a bunch of new ones.
Then why on earth would I advise you change it up and choose a heart-stopping, suspenseful story, one that makes you shiver with fear and huddle in under the covers and check the locks on your doors?
Here are six reasons:
- The problems are bigger and more real. Let’s face it, our world includes stalkers and drug dealers and bad parts of town where everyone doesn’t care about each other. Romantic suspense is more likely to deal with those gritty, real-world problems.
- With bigger problems—problems that seem unsolvable—there’s more need of God and more room for his grace. Violence and crime don’t have easy solutions. It takes a big God to make them go away. Fortunately, our God is large and powerful beyond measure!
- If you’re feeling blue or distracted, sometimes you need a page turner. Most romantic suspense and thriller books keep you up way past your bedtime. Each chapter ending makes you turn the page to find out what happens next. Before you know it, it’s after midnight, you’ve neglected all your chores… and you’ve completely forgotten about your problems.
- Some of your favorite sweet romance writers just might have a dark side! Beloved inspirational writers like Hallee Bridgeman, Roxanne Rustand, Lenora Worth, and Margaret Daley write both gentle contemporary stories and suspenseful ones. If you love their sweet romances, you’ll find many of the same qualities in their more suspenseful tales.
- It’s fun to be scared! We’re coming up on that time of year when our neighbors display spiders and cobwebs and grimacing pumpkins. The most innocent trip down the aisle at Wal Mart can trigger a sensor, resulting in a plastic goblin’s bloodcurdling screech. What better accompaniment to fall’s blowing leaves and howling winds than a nice scary story?
- And finally… you should give romantic suspense a try because you can do it FOR FREE! Here are two ways:
- Come to a Facebook party celebrating the romantic suspense genre. Six romantic suspense writers are chatting with readers and giving away copies of their books. And EVERY SINGLE COMMENTER will get a free copy of the prequel novella for my Sacred Bond Guardians series of Christian romantic suspense novels. It’s a great time to give this genre a try!
- If you can’t come to the party, or if you’d rather dive right in, you can grab Book One of my Sacred Bond Guardians series for free. These books connect to the Sacred Bond series, but they’re longer and more suspenseful, with heroes in military or law enforcement.
Did I convince you? Which do you prefer: sweet romance, or romantic suspense? We’d love to hear why!